Monday, April 19, 2004

Bear with me....

Oh my readership of two. Aw, heck, Bear with me Jim and Molly, as I have much to post, but have undergone some trials these last few days.

The biggest one affecting my blogging is my sudden and so-far unrecoverable crash of my main harddrive thanks to a shareware program named System Optimizer X. Yes, I guess deleting 50 gigabytes of data is one way to optimize your drive, just as fire-bombing Dresden could be seen as a radical new forest fire prevention tactic. Among the lost are all my digital photos, which to my detriement were not backed up (I think). I believe I saved most of the recent blog photos, but some are lost to time (I miss the photos of Isamu Noguchi the most). At least the wedding is backed up, though now low-resolution only....

Just data, it's just data.

The music can be reloaded, and the invoices re-entered. I now know that saying you have a backup strategy is not the same as actually having one. So tomorrow I pickup my big-ass firewire drive and start configuring Retrospect to backup at least 3 of the 5 CPU's I have humming in my house.