Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Definition of white-collar.

white-collar

Nord over at Counselor's blog noted that since Counselor is now comfortably white-collar, he should take up golf.

I think that's the first time a member of my little group and generation has had the moniker applied. But does the title have the same meaning today? According to the definition above, Blue-collar is a manual laborer, and white-collar is a skilled person, perhaps a craftsperson. However today, much of the manual labor in america is no more. Those that digress, and point out the various auto workers, T-Shirt seamstresses and waiters, should realize that all of those applications involve the use of a skill. I could not sew a t-shirt anymore than I could work on an assembly line. Those skills are learned. Then, are they not white-collar as well? Where does that put this admittedly old class demarcation? And with globalisation no longer a buzz-word but a reality, does it even apply anymore?

For that matter, I'm currently reading a book that takes place both in WWII and the present day and I was struck on how large and unknown the world was a scant 60 years ago. Now, with the internet and air-travel, everyplace is accessible, nothing is fairly remote; and thanks to National Geographic and the Discovery Channel, hardly anything is unknown.

Yes yes yes, its not the same as travelling there, but until I follow in Molly's footsteps I shall continue to insist that India is not the great dark subcontinent of yesterday.