Monday, October 04, 2004

Bear with, and back to the Surreal LA

Hello again. I ask my faithful readers who have not yet digested my China Chronicles to bear with me as my server is down. Moving to a new place is stressful, and my creaky old frankenstein PC server doesn't like to move at all. Last check it turned on, but was not responding to any requests. I hope to have it troubleshot in the next day or so.

I plan to migrate my entire webserver and FTP prescence over to a Macintosh platform from the current Windows 2000 server configuration. Why? Well, Win2K is great, and the best Windows distribution I've used (I've not used XP), but every so often, it just clogs up and forces me to manually restart the machine, log in, and restart all non-automatic services. A pain, and not the unattended device I need it to be. Macintosh OS X, as you may or may not know, is based on FreeBSD, a variant of UNIX. UNIX is the standard OS for the majority of servers on the internet and is designed exactly for this kind of thing. There are people out there with Mac Laptops running OS X to do all sorts of everyday things like webbrowsing and email and graphics and word processing and CAD etc, with uptime in months. That means no restarting - ever. The uptime would be longer if you realize the only time these guys restart is to install software updates. The rest of the time they close the lid and put the computer to sleep. Now I just want to run the industry-standard Apache Webserver (which runs over 66% of webservers worldwide, and is built into the OS) and a simple FTP (also built into the OS). So I run the mac, turn on both services in the network control panel (yes, that easy) and leave it alone. I'll periodically post my uptime stats. When I migrate it of course.

Surreal LA.

back to the grind, I'm working late tonight. My current job is an infomercial to fill the time between now and Trace Evidence. Extreme Dental Makeovers. Sounds exciting, but this is an informercial with a soul. My good friend Kathy has been editing and supervising them for some time and they go like this: The team goes to town and advertises that two people will receive a complimentary complete dental makeover. Scores turn out and ten finalists are selected. of those ten, two win and are given the works. The before and afters are amazing, and the receivers are duly thrilled that something that caused them much emotional stress throughout their lives has been changed for the best. We're talking hollywood teeth here. These procedures routinely cost in the 10-20 thousand range, and all chosen are people in need. The entire procedure is taped, with interviews before and after from the doctors and the chosen. The infomercial part is that this becomes a half-hour 'show' that advertises the expertise and work of the local dentist performing the makeovers. the soul part is that people's lives are changed for the better. So I'm happy to do it. It's also a good gig in all the usual places (not to mention close to home. I'm in Santa Monica, and can feel the water!)

The surreal part is that Gary Coleman is working a few doors down and David Duchovny pops in from time to time. Oh the joys of local post houses!