Tuesday, April 19, 2005

On Pope Benedict XVI

Well, Ratzinger won it. He was the early favorite and that has borne out. I for one, am wary. I am sure he is a pious man, but for his career he has represented the most conservative policies of Catholicism. While I do not count myself among those 'dedicated to a doctrine of ego and relativism', I do think the church is behind on many matters that do not concern God, but concern Humanity. I do not believe that contraception, if used correctly, is a barrier to the will of God. I believe that it is an effective tool against the spread of infection and unwanted children in a world fast becoming overcrowded. I also believe it to be a valuable tool in expressing love between married couples who know they cannot raise another child with the proper amount of care, attention and expense. I do not believe that the bible clearly states that women cannot partake in the priesthood. I also believe that celibacy of priests was ordained by a pope in the middle ages, and was NOT required in the original testament.

Thus, I guess I am a protestant. We'll see if Benedict follows in the footsteps of John of Vatican II or John Paul II of recent times.

God Bless.