Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Nostalgia Austin

The Writings on the Stall - Writing 71

Seems to be a trend, now well documented by Counselor. Here's my take:

Nostalgia of College? It was a great time for most of us. Before the start of hardcore responsibility, a place where our daily activities were populated by friends, they were within 10 miles and we had free time to see them. That grey, golden area made more so by the knowledge that one day soon, it would end.

One thing I have noticed in LA, is how stacked in our favor college was for meeting people. Think about it. In your college are multitude of people your age with many of the same interests, all wanting to meet new people. Outside of your discipline, the university has people roughly the same age with the same desires. I've been with my wife for 7 years now, and I've known her since I was nineteen. Out here in Los Angeles, I often hear from single friends the difficulty in finding compatible people for friendship and dating. What's missing is the strong community that college provided. Some may find it in their jobs, but we must admit that it is a smaller community, with different rules and politics and not as free-form as college may have been.