Thursday, September 09, 2004

China Journal: Traveling Part 1

Welcome, dear readers, to my first blog entry of my recent trip to China. I blogged everyday and my wish is to make this a weekly post that can hopefully bring some of the journey to you. Or at least a good laugh.
The trip really began a day earlier. True to form, Angela and I were not ready, and were facing a day/night of last-minute packing and haranging. I had planned to get up at 6am and start the final loads of laundry, a plan that never happened. The laundry got pushed further and further back, and finally we realized it was 10pm and it wasn't done yet. After a quick brainstorming session, AND furious driving by yours truly, We settled in the Launderland on Motor, up the block from a bar. Most laundromats in our neighborhood close by 9:30 (heathens!) and this was the only one, though they said they closed at midnight. 11:30 and 4 loads are spinning away. Our dear friends Eric, Tye, and Brad wanted to send us off with a goodbye nightcap. And there is nothing quite like a merlot with snickers over a spinning maytag.
The closing cleaners kicked us out at midnight, so we travelled to Eric and Tye's to use their dryers and playstation. 3 hours later the laundry is finished and I'm up three points on Jedi Knights. We dash home to finish packing. We actually did pretty swell in the packing department. This is the longest trip and the furthest distance I have ever been on, and we packed the smallest ever.
Four hours later, we awaken and depart for the airport. Upon arrival we discover two things:
1. Security is a loooong line.
2. Our flight is delayed 4 hours.
Four Hours......I miss my bed already. We meet up with Rick and after getting our bags repacked by security (thank you TSA quicklocks!), we have bad airport chinese food and check out the terminal.

I had my first encounter with a duty free store today. I had visions of a modern pirates paradise, but to my dismay it was little more than Macy's with a liquor store added. Every type of hard liquor, tobacco, Gucci and fragrance was to be found, and i reminded myself that duty free meant tax free, not discount. trust me, the Scotch selection was great, but I can get better prices at my local Trader Joe's. But, if I was getting last-minute gifts, I understand the attraction. And I did get to see the largest box of cigs I'd ever seen.
Four hours of chilltime later, and we board the plane.
(I should mention at this point that I've had a chronic back ache. The following was written while uner the influence of such pain. The week prior I had my birthday party at Sambala. Although it was a blast and I got to play surdo for everyone, I held the drum wrong and pretty much banged my lower back out of alignment. It was so bad that I even went to a chiropractor before the trip so I could walk! Chiropractor was great, but my back was (and is today) still touchy. After dragging bags through the airport, I was in need of lying prone, which I did on the floor until we boarded. Once we boarded, well, that's another story.)
.....Time Passes.....
Well, it's 9:30 PM West Coast time, and the trip so far has been interesting. I am reminded how people over 5'7'' should not travel. or rather, cannot. The seats on this Airbus 337 are generous enough in their legroom, realizing correctly that a raising of the forward seat height will allow the legs to fully extend. However, any gains are offset by the reduction in horizontal space. The next time I fly, I need to be 20 lbs lighter, at least. All controls are on the inside edge of the right seat rest, and when i plug in my headphones, my hips grind away at the connection. Sleep is difficult for me, I never could slumber while seated, unless I had plenty of alcohol coursing through my veins. It's a tantalizing option, but as i need to deal with hotels, taxis and Chinese cash soon after landing, hitting the martinis is not a good idea. (And besides, who enjoys a martini in a plastic cup?) I also have my bladder to consider. I will share only this: I went to the bathroom in the back of the aircraft and I had to be acrobatic.
But, that's only the usual encumbrances when flying coach. Upgrades were available, but for an extra $1000. Today's aircraft give the flyer a variety of entertainment options. The seat controls give you multiple channels of audio; music from country's greatest hits to top 40's greatest hits. Often a movie is shown. The joys I find are in discovering how each country takes this basic paradigm and alters it for their cultural identity. Watching the Chinese in-flight entertainment was a trip. First there was French gags and pranks. Montreal's own funniest home videos.. Tom and Jerry also took a turn on the small screen. I realize both work because there is no dialogue, anyone can watch and laugh. For the expat's returning home, there's been a chinese drama for the last 3 hours, and I can't tell if it's changed topics. Every so often i look up and its either a guy/girl looking deeply into the eyes, or a martial arts exhibition that too closely mirrors anime.
So that's my reflections on China: travel stage 1. the damn sleeping pills aren't working and i know it's going to hit me (3 hours of sleep and all) when i get off the plane.
.....Time Passes.....
I just experienced a bit of reverse cultural-ism. You know how kids outside America know the culture from watching TV? I think i just recognized Tokyo bay from all my geek post-apocalyptic anime viewing. I think so. There was a lot less development than there was in Patlabor 2, and oh yeah, no robots.

Damn.

TV says we're flying over Osaka. Hi, Molly. I waved. Old Nippon is definitely an island; lots of lights then...black.

.....Time Passes.....
It's now 13 and a half hours since I left the states. Crossing the dateline, I've lost a day. The good news is that I'm still alive. after nearly 7 hours of fitful tossing and turning mixed with killing time, I finally fell asleep lying against the bulkhead. (all other available lay-down seats have long since been claimed. I had one, but gave it up to cuddle with the missus. Such are the sacrifices for love.) I awoke to an announcement that we'll be landing in another couple of hours (!Aaargh!) and that dinner will be served.

Lunch: "Pork Rice or Chicken Noodle?"
"Chicken" I said.
45 minutes later, "VACANCY" I read.

Dinner: "Beef Rice or Pork Noodle?" "Beef, please."
"To drink?"
"Hot Tea please."
"mmm...Sprite?"
"Yeah, Sprite's great."

We're were supposed to go out for dinner in Shanghai with friends, but that possibility was lost. Our flight, already delayed from a 1:30pm departure to 3:30pm, was delayed even further before we finally left the ground. (My favorite: "We will now be boarding all rows for China Eastern Flight 586"........Standing in line 15 minutes later, "We will now be boarding business only, everyone else please sit down until your row is called." 5 minutes later.."We will now be boarding all rows, please have your passport and boarding passes ready."

Hey, the hot tea does rock. this being China and all.

Angela has finally slept as well. I declined to wake her for dinner, as we both got next to no sleep the night packing previous. But now I'm trapped against the bulkhead. Hmm, better slow down on that tea. Hmm, maybe it won't make a difference. The air in here is quite quite dry, and has been making my nose and ears difficult to work with. Moisture is good. Ironic that I've been reading the dune series. My kingdom (well, seat 48a) for a still suit!

They're playing the tom and jerry reel for the third time. gets better every time.....
---

And that's my grumbly travel blog for the first day. Tune in next week for Shanghai: Day One, Plus more pictures!