Friday, May 20, 2005

Back again

Apologies for the delay....

It seems that blog entries come in waves for me. Sometimes I have words that are dying to get out, sometimes I have commentaries I feel like sharing. I don't often have the discipline to comment on the ephemera of Pop Culture like some of my peers, or the mentality to hold a continuous discourse on subjects far and wide. So my posts often come scatter-shot. So keeping in the tradition of not being present or prescient, here we go again.

FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE MOMENT

Alethiometer

I'm reading Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials saga currently. (The fansite is better than the official site). I'm in book two, The Subtle Knife, and so far they have been brillliant. A fantastic tale set in the kind of world that differs from ours in every enchanting way. Everything makes sense and his treatment of morality and religion pose brilliant questions to the reader. The series has taken a lot of flack for the apparent atheism of its author, but I've never felt my faith to be in question in enjoying the series. Although I disagree with Mr. Pullman on theological matters, I feel his depiction of a religious magisterium gone mad, to be a thoughtful rebuke and sounding point on matters where this world's religions have used and been used for ill rather than good. It forces me to question, and I like that in a book. Also the economy in which Pullman tells his stories is a welcome refresher to the often overwrought prose of current fantasists. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable series I recommend to anyone who've enjoyed Tolkien, Lewis, Eddings, Jordan, et. al.