Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I survived my first screening with the exec producer. My episode occupies an hour-long slot, which in the TV world is in reality only 44 minutes and change.

1 Hour = 44 minutes? I like that.
1/2 hour = 22. eeenteresting.

We screened the 'Radio Play'. A radio play is usually the first big step in cutting a documentary like this. I learned it cutting DVD's. You basically take all your interviews and create the basic structure and story of your piece, one talking-head at a time. No music, no photos, no Broll. Just the spine of the piece. What you get is incredibly boring, but sometimes amusing. You often edit out pauses, stutters and coughs from your interviewees, so jump cuts abound. Those slightly touched can enjoy the juxtapositions jump cuts can make.

On "Chainsaw Redux", the final total running time (TRT) was around 77minutes. My radio cut was 4 hours long. Extensive reworking and we came in at 60 minutes. Hem and haw, and we settled at 77. The process can be..excruciating. More later...