Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Austin Vs. LA

This started as a comment and my response was too long, hence the post. So, starting from Molly, responding to my Nostalgia post..

true, it is harder to meet people in austin after graduation. but there are still a lot of cool people and haouse parties and dinner parties and stuff. it just takes more effort. there's a great scene first thursday on south congress.

do you think the difference between austin and la is that everything in austin is filtered through a haze of alcohol? i mean, there is a pretty serious drinking culture in texas...
molly | Homepage | 06.02.04 - 8:02 pm | #


And my response...


Hahaha! The haze would explain why I don't remember much from my college years, especially the first two..

I would also say my post applied more to meeting people outside of Austin (LA being my personal experience). If one stayed in Austin, I'd presume you'd have a much larger group to pull from, as many former students stayed, as well as the familiarity of at least 4 prior years in the town. You'd have the same places for the same reasons, and you could build new ones on to that.

Visiting from time to time one of the biggest differences I experienced was that now I could afford to have something else besides house coffee refills!

But I'd say the differences between the two towns are much larger than alcohol. Drinking is pretty heavy out here, as well as other intoxicants. In fact, I'd say outside of work, drinking is the MAIN way to meet people outside of your established group. The biggest difference is that Austin is more real. People give and take face value and fakeness is often discovered then a warning hastily spread throughout. There are too many sycophants out here, so you develop an instinctive initial reflex of "Why is this person really talking to me. Are they really interested in who I am, or just what I can do for them?" The good news is that UT was a great training ground for LA. In UT, a school 48,000 strong, you'd think you'd get lost and never meet anyone real. But in reality, you have your friends, you meet new ones, and you can still meet on campus to hangout - but when you see them across the quad, there's just many more people to cross between you and them. LA is similar. There's great and wonderful people out here - you just have to sift through the chaff to get to them.