Monday, June 14, 2004

Exiting the office




I have to face it. I don't work well at home. I've been cutting this documentary for the last 3 weeks now and everyday has been a challenge for concentration. Let's count the differences:

PRO:
Can edit in your pajamas.
Can prepare and eat your own food.
The commute is a breeze.
It's your house, you can do what you want.
You can work whenever you want.

CON:
No separation between the 'work place' and the 'not work place'.
Distractions abound.
You can work whenever you want, into the night even. It's always there, beckoning.
No human interaction. It's just you baby. Therefore you never leave the house.

I like the discipline inherent in the walls of work. This is a place of work, you do work here. Elsewhere, you do other things. I also like the ability to leave the work behind once I change locations. Working at home I've often felt prisoner.

Right now I'm in the 'home stretch', which is really the last week at home before I move the system back to Trace Evidence. As it looks, I'll be editing a dual shift, trying to finish the doc in the evenings. Not fun, but hopefully at work, I can get more accomplished than I have at home.