Monday, September 20, 2004

Mac Programs I'm digging....



KisMAC
http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/
“KisMAC is a free stumbler application for MacOS X, that puts your card into the monitor mode. Unlike most other applications for OS X we are completely invisible and send no probe requests. KisMAC supports third party PCMCIA cards with Orinoco and PrismII chipsets, as well as Cisco Aironet cards. “
Stumbler means that your airport card will scan for and detect ALL WiFi networks within range with details (encrypted or not, etc). Perfect for being on the road (wardriving).



Jbidwatcher
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9068
Auction tracking and sniping for ebay. Java-based so fast and cross=platform. And FREE!!



PGP
http:// Www.pgpi.com
Of course..The free version lets you encrypt and decrypt with your own keys. Since the government gave ALL ISP’s the right to look at our email without court order (it’s a felony to do the same with snail mail), I recommend everyone look at encryption for privacy. My public keys are on the keyserver for those who desire it.



Firefox
Www.mozilla.org
The new preview release seems faster than Safari, definitely more customizable.



DEVONthink
Www.devon-technologies.com



Now my mac-based standard knowledgebase. A collector for all my ideas and writing. Shareware, but looks worth it, tons of features. This replaces mybase from wjjsoft, which I used extensively on the windows-side. Worth a look if you’re tired of too many stickies and huge MS word files.



NetNewsWire
Www.ranchero.com



Screw the web for reading blogs and news. NYTimes has RSS, even I do on my blog. Get this. It works.



Zinio
Www.zinio.com



Came with the powerbook. Now I can read my magazines on my computer and stop killing trees. (At least the ones that don’t deserve it. Now that damn Western Cedar.....)



Skype
Www.skype.com



I spoke with a friend in Osaka Japan for an hour for free. She sounded like she was on a mic in the next room. She called her family’s landlines in oklahoma for an hour and a half. Cost her $2 Euros. Nuff said.



Abiword
Www.abisource.com



Free word processor for all platforms. The Mac client is alpha, but I know the windows one well and it’s a great MSWord replacement. Of course, if you’re using Devonthink, then you can already read and write Msword docs...



Pathfinder
Www.pathfinder.com



The finder on steriods. Preview anything, terminal anything. Process end anything. The drop box alone is great.