Sunday, September 19, 2004

Selling the House



We had our yard sale yesterday. But to tell it's story I need to go earlier.... (groans)



The Wife and I have moved together 3 times, this will be the fourth. Each time we have used the situation to whittle down the accumulated dross of our lives. Super spring cleaning you might say. The first time was the most painful, as the Wife cleaned out all my old Hawaiian Shirts (handmedowns from my father, threadbare) and most of the flannel I used to so-desperately align myself with the grunge movement. (Hey, to a color-blind-typical-male like myself, plaid goes with everything. But we were able to rent the UHaul with the money and made it out to California alive.



We stayed on couches for a month, so the second time was from the Uhaul storage center to our first apartment. The third move happened so fast we didn't even have time to properly pack. Most of the crap in our office went into boxes and the perennial project was to go through and organize those boxes. This took a year.



Which leads us to this move. As I'd mentioned previously, we were in the market for a new place as the current building has been showing its age in various ways (plumbing not working, some kinda wood eating bug showing up....). We're also looking for places to be loud. Angela dances and I play music, so together, there's a lot of noise going on. Noise that cannot go on with a child living directly downstairs. So we found the great townhouse we've moving into on May 1st, and keeping in form, we had the yard sale.



I've been working every day and night this week, so friday night we got together to really pull everything off. We finished at 1:30 in the morning, woke up at 5:30 in the morning and had most of the stuff downstairs by 6:30am. Our ad in craigslist said 7am-1pm.



The DVDs went at 6:45am. All of them. To a single lady. Apparently people in LA troll for discs, as I had received multiple emails prior to the sale about them. But heck, it's not 7am and we already made $100 bucks.




nice...........



The day went too quickly. And we did very very well. Which is suprising. Most of our prices were between 25 cents to 5 dollars. We had a few big-ticket items (TV, Computer monitors), but even those went quickly. Aside from the 60$ for the 30" TV (plus stand), nothing we had was over $30 dollars. After the monitors sold, nothing we had was over $20. All books were 25c and frames were a buck.



We did very very well. I won't say the $, but I will say that for this move we are hiring movers, we get 4 guys for $100 an hour, and I think our total cost will be covered by what we got yesterday.



Which makes me very very happy.



And now, this week? I pack!!!