Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Trying out the weblog editor in NetNewsWire. Apparently the blogger API doesn't allow titles or URLs to be transmitted, so I'll be pronouncement-less for now.



Life is starting to settle down a bit. It helps to be only working one job. The cut is going well, fitting a lot of movies into one place, and we hope to output today. yay! Though at this point I want to murder final cut pro.



Don't get me wrong, I've loved the program in the past and have been a staunch evangelist for its features and price, but lately, it's been annoying me for two reasons.
1. Output. It takes nearly a day to output complex and long sequences. You have to render to disk a complete movie of your show, reimport, then output that. Combined render time on a mixed, color-corrected 60-min show is in the hours. FCP's main competition, the venerable Avid, has an output tool that just works.
2. This latest edition of Aurora Pipe and Final Cut Pro HD has been crashing over 70 times for me in the last 3 days. Trust me, I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. FCP 4.5 HD is a dog anyway that has many many bugs. The unforgivable part is that it is nearly 9 months old, it's numerable bugs are well documented and Apple has yet to release a bug-fix update. For MS word, that would be ok, but for mission-critical applications like Television and Film, where deadlines are a constant worry, it's inexcusable to have a program broken for so long. I know many people who have returned their softwares and bought competing systems in the lag. Apple needs to wake up and realize that if you service a high-tech industry like the media, you can't force us to rely on yearly updates. Do that for features, for functionality, fix it now.