Friday, March 19, 2004

Last night was an interesting ride. I was attending a seminar on DVD production presented by the Producer's Guild of America (PGA). My producing parnter Ian is a member and serves on the board of the new media council, which DVD falls under.

After a frustrating 40min on the freeway, I arrived a fashionably 10minutes late at Theater 1 on the Universal Lot. This was my first time on the lot proper, having only glimpsed it from a ride at the adjoining theme park. It's pretty big and pretty cool I must say. I spent 3 years on the Sony Lot and the curb appeal has nothing on Universal (or Warner Bros., which is also massive and in the valley).

I wolfed down a shish-kebob and a slice of quesadilla, and, not knowing anyone really outside, went in for the show. It was fairly interesting. A mix of marketing and DVD producers from majors and independents. Good to hear nuts and bolts from the big guys perspective, also to hear how they backhandedly cut into each other, while maintaining a sheen of politeness.

back to work, more later.