Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Marco!.......Polo!.....

Well, it looks as though my trip to China might actually occur! Our good friend Rick spent many months in Shanghai editing "Flatland" with Dennis Hopper and was itching to return again. The great thing about this is with Rick as our guide, we have someone with relationships to China and its people. Very preferable to going it alone and unprepared.

The plan is to spend 2 weeks, visiting Shanghai, Bejing, a few points between and finally Tibet. (No, I will not be giving a Lama my glasses.) Tentative departure is the 2nd week of August, which means I may spend my birthday in another country. As we're preparing, I'm realizing that traveling to a foreign country is not something you do a mere 5 weeks in advance, but more along the lines of 5 months. But, as I do live in the capitalist country, I know that extra money can get you what you need.

As some of my readership are currently Auslanders or have experience being Aus'd, tell me: What should I not forget in going abroad? What can you tell me that I'd not glean from Colin Powell?